Sunday, March 18, 2012

Art 220: Entry 19

Our final class was on Thursday. Finals week starts tomorrow and on Tuesday, we will be screening the promos we've been working on!

On Thursday, we talked about the learning outcomes and what grade we felt we deserved in the class. We then had a discussion about the difference between Art and Graphic Design. In the past, I have felt that some classes were a waste of time and did not accomplish anything they set out to do. With the exception of one, this course successfully met the learning outcomes listed on the syllabus. Although I am not a design student, one of the main reasons I took this course was because I had a desire to improve on my ability to develop concepts. I not only wanted to come up with better ideas, but I wanted to generate many ideas quickly. I feel that I have succeeded in accomplishing this. Every idea I come up with may not be brilliant, but I am able to generate many good ideas quickly and strengthen them faster than I was able to before.

I found it interesting that many people were stumped when asked the difference between Graphic Design and art. As students making it their career choice, I was expecting many to give thoughtful and informative answers. I had a general idea myself, but I found it difficult to formulate a coherent description. Jimmy told us that we needed to know what Graphic Design was to effectively complete our videos. Together, the class slowly pieced the meaning of design like a communal puzzle. As a whole, it was stated that design was the use of art to communicate a message and solve a problem. Designers are critical thinkers, solving problems for their clients and being mindful of their audience. More might have been said but I began to think about my video and how I wanted to approach my idea. After talking to Jimmy about my idea, I left class feeling pensive and a little less stressed about the impending workload.

descriptor collection
demure: a shy or modest appearance or manner
sesquipedalian: using lengthy words; containing many letters or syllables
adamant: set opinion, unwilling to reconsider a decision

No comments:

Post a Comment