Sunday, March 11, 2012

Art 220: Entry 17

Thursday's class consisted of deep thoughts and a whole lot of whoa's.

What if we could never die?
What if sexual identity didn't exist?
What if there were no more religions?
What if 9/11 never happened?
What if there were no such thing as success?
What if earth had zero gravity?
What if everything we do has been decided?
What if consciousness is a dream?
What if everyone looked the same?
What if space was God's heart?
What if Hitler and the axis powers had won the war?
What if females ran the world?
What if there were no borders?
What if we ran out of oil tomorrow?

These were some of the questions people posed during our game of "what if...?"

Even after class had ended, I continued to ponder the possibilities. As a kid, I would hold my nose before drinking nasty medicines. I found out years later that smell determined taste, and holding my nose was actually an effective coping method. When someone asked "what if earth had zero gravity?" I simply thought of how cool it would be to float around weightlessly. What I did not consider was how our eating habits would be affected. Jimmy pointed our that the aroma of our foods rises to our nostrils as we eat and if gravity changed, how would our sense of smell change?

I loved the possibility of space being a spec in God's heart. And God being one of many others like us. It made me visualize infinity in a new manner and I felt so minute-- but not in a bad way. When someone proposed the extinction of religions, I contemplated the fate morality. If religions never existed, would politics have existed? If no one believed in anything higher than humans, would we have a sense of wonder?

If we were to run out of oil, I feel we would not cope well at all. We would be quite unprepared. Cars would be scattered everywhere, and many people would possibly have to leave their jobs or leave hours early to arrive via bike. It would also force us to bring back electric car.

I continued to think of more what if's for a few hours. Some a bit outrageous and others that plunged me deeper into thought. As creatives, we should explore different possibilities-- both plausible and  implausible. We can consider the implications and simply let our minds go free. I felt like this was a great exercise in cultivating creativity and developing the imagination.

descriptor collection
disillusioned: disappointed in someone of something
weary: visibly tired
petite: smaller than average

No comments:

Post a Comment