Saturday, January 14, 2012

Art 220: Entry 1

I had been meaning to create a blog for a while. Interestingly enough, I was asked to start one for a course I'm taking this quarter called "Concept Development." In this blog, I will reflect on each class session. So, here goes...

On Thursday's class, we talked about problem solving. Before solving a problem, the problem needs to be clearly defined. This is something that applies to any situation and is perhaps often overlooked. This made me think of my eternal struggle with essays. Ever since I took a class in high school, I began to loathe writing essays. The process was always long and excruciating but in the end, the pain was not experienced in vain as I always received high marks. This is because I thoroughly contemplated the question. I dissected it, and carefully answered each portion. I prefer to sit and think for hours and know exactly what I need to answer rather than wasting those hours completing the task without actually achieving the goal.

We were told how much time and effort is expected from us in and out of class. The university's policy is that for every 3-unit course, 6 hours should be spent outside of class reviewing and/or doing homework. Our professor, Jimmy Moss, told us he took this very seriously and wanted us to be dedicated and passionate. I was reminded of my recent visit to The Art Institute of California at Los Angeles, where I was inspired to work longer and harder on my art. While some people may have been shocked, I smiled and accepted the challenge.

Jimmy Moss mentioned that this course would help us to produce more ideas quickly. Being a good problem solver is beneficial when it comes to generating ideas. If you can quickly define the problem, you can start to come up with ideas that much faster. Spending time outside of class is like practice. It is investing time in trying to become a better artist.

I expect that I will develop new skills and grow as an artist as I progress through the quarter. Through this blog, I will document my metamorphosis :)



descriptor collection:
imperturbable - not easily worried, distressed or agitated
effectual - potentially effective
efficacious - having the power to produce a desired result

1 comment: